If you want to be appointed as a guardian of a child or an adult, you must file an application along with certain forms in the court. This section provides information on guardianship laws, state specific forms, documents and other information that you will require if you are seeking to establish legal guardianship. Please click on the links to know more:
- Ten Questions to Ask When Choosing a Guardian : A list of things to think about when choosing a guardian.
- Documents Checklist : This section provides a checklist of important documents to help you better manage your ward’s financial and legal affairs, including any vehicle titles, living wills, mortgages, IRA statements, and more.
- State Laws on Guardianships : In this section, we’ve included examples of state guardianship laws to give you a better idea of how different states handle the appointment and powers of guardians.
- Considerations When Choosing a Guardian : This section provides a number of considerations that will help you select the guardian who’s best suited for the position.
- FAQ: Establishing Guardianship : Find answers to your questions about appointing a guardian for your child, your powers and responsibilities as a guardian, and more.