Cohabiting with another person should always be taken seriously since there are legal ramifications that may be involved whether it concerns money, property, debts and children. Even if the situation of living together is going smoothly problems may crop up like financial or medical issues. This is where one should know their legal rights and what are the laws that govern a couple who is not married but is just living together. Click on the links to know more:
- Cohabitation Do’s and Don’ts : Read this list of do’s and don’ts so you can protect yourself when you start living together.
- Lessons Learned the Hard Way : Living together without marriage works wonderfully for some people, but sometimes the arrangement can go horribly wrong. Take a look at this case study for all the details of one example.
- Marriage vs. Cohabitation : Use this comparison chart to learn about the legal differences.
- Tips for Unmarried Parents Raising Children Together : Married couples have many legal privileges that help them raise children together. Unmarried couples can still obtain many of those privileges, but it takes some more work. Read this article to learn what to do.
- Medical Directives and the Durable Power of Attorney : This article provides an in-depth explanation of two of the most important documents unmarried couples need in order to enjoy the full privileges married couples enjoy.
- Child Visitation, Child Custody, and Unmarried Fathers : This article explains how to start establishing visitation and custody when you haven’t yet established paternity.