Although a registered domestic partnership (RDP) in California grants both parties all the rights, benefits and obligations as parties in a valid marriage, there are still many differences. For example, federal law and many other states do not acknowledge domestic partnerships. Consequently, what are the disadvantages in choosing a domestic partnership over marriage?
- Because RDPs are not federally recognized, they are unable to take advantage of over 1130 rights and benefits afforded exclusively to married couples.
- RDPs are frequently looked down upon and do not receive the same honor, respect and privileges as married couples.
- In an emergency, RDPs may not be permitted to make important medical decisions for their incapable partners.
- Since the federal government does not recognize RDPs, they would not be provided the same tax benefits as legally married couples.
- A court order regarding support for a current/former domestic partner is not recognized federally like one for a current/former marriage mate is.
The Law Office of Thomas Hogan is a family law specialist who is prepared to help in your time of need. Feel free to contact us if you are in need of help. Call (209) 214-6600 to speak with our Modesto California Attorneys.