Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I’ve just gotten into an accident, I’ve been injured, what should I do?
If you plan to file a personal injury case, the steps that you take right after the accident is very important in your claim. Take note that:
1. Seek medical aid first.
2. Be clear on the details of the incident.
2. Take note of the injuries that you sustained.
3. Preserve any evidence that could help you in your personal injury claim.
4. File a police report (take note of the time, weather, witnesses and date, etc.).
5. Hire a good personal injury attorney.
Read more about: The Dos and Don’ts after a Car Accident
What should I expect when I meet with a personal injury lawyer?
Upon your first meeting with the personal injury attorney, expect the following:
1. You maybe asked to sign forms requesting your medical service provider to release your medical records.
2. The attorney may ask you about your insurance coverage.
3. The attorney may ask you if you have already negotiated with your insurance company.
4. The attorney may ask you the details of the accident.
5. The attorney may not immediately take your case. They will evaluate your situation first. If they are unable to handle your case, they may refer you to another attorney. If they decide to accept your case, the attorney will then discuss his or her fees and will ask you to sign a retainer agreement.
6. Once you sign the retainer agreement, you will be advised to not speak to anyone about the incident without your attorney’s advice. Your attorney will keep you posted on the case.
Read more about: Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney