Your entitlement to the properties will depend on their nature, whether they are community, quasi-community or separate property. If it’s community or quasi-community property, then you and your husband may have a 50-50 interest in it, and you have no interest in your spouse’s separate property.

However, classifying properties is complex and many times the bone of contention in most dissolution cases, that only the court could decide upon the matter. Before going through with your divorce, it is best to work with an attorney who is an expert in divorce and family law to make sure that you do not get the losing end of property division. Being represented by a competent lawyer would most likely guarantee that you will be getting a fair deal out of the dissolution.