During appeal, does the spouse have to pay support according to the final decree or can he pay support as spelled out in the temporary decree?

Usually, “the perfecting of an appeal stays proceedings in the trial court upon the judgment or order appealed from or upon the matters embraced” or affected, including enforcement of the judgment or order [CCP §916 (a)], but judgment or order directing the payment of money (e.g., “permanent” spousal support orders) is not stayed during the perfecting of an appeal unless a sufficient undertaking is given [CCP § 917.1 (a)(1)]. Therefore, if there is no undertaking, support according to the final decree will be followed.

Working with an experienced Divorce and Family Law attorney would help shed light and provide more information on matters regarding spousal support and appeals related to marriage dissolution.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


Contact Us RECEPTION (209) 492-9335

Click Here to Request a Consultation Via Chat

Our receptionist will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Tom Hogan will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.
Back to top