I got married in February 16, 2008 and it lasted for only 6 months. He left the home and apparently he has a wife and kids in Mexico. I haven’t heard from him since he left. How can I get a quick and easy divorce?

When the parties have been married and/or in a domestic partnership for no more than five years, and there are no children and relatively modest assets and liabilities, the parties may consider a “summary dissolution procedure” (Fam.C. § 2400).

Summary dissolution is a relatively straight-forward inexpensive procedure for dissolving a marriage and/or domestic partnership. The ultimate goal of marital/domestic partnership dissolution is just as the name implies—i.e., to proceed to judgment summarily. No formal court hearings or appearances are required; and a judgment of dissolution may be entered within six months after filing a joint petition (Fam.C. §§ 2401, 2403).

The Family Code emphatically advises couples who are divorcing to consult with a lawyer, saying that “(i)t is in the best interests of the parties to consult an attorney regarding the dissolution of their marriage” [Fam.C. § 2406 (b)(1)]. This is because working with an attorney who is an expert in divorce would ensure that the party is properly guided on what needs to be done.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


Contact Us RECEPTION (209) 492-9335

Click Here to Request a Consultation Via Chat

Our receptionist will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Tom Hogan will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.
Back to top