Getting non-parent custody would require proving that it is in the child’s best interest to be under the care of a person other than his/her parent. It is already complex as it is with the help of an experienced lawyer, and it would be at least doubly challenging without one. Nevertheless, if you think that the child is in danger or at risk being in the custody of his mother, you may seek the help of the authorities such as the CPS.