That is not allowed in most states. If the ex-spouse changes an order without the court’s permission, the courts may order the member to indemnify the non-member for the community property share of the military retirement benefits that was lost as a result of the member’s postjudgment receipt of disability pay and concurrent waiver of retired pay. This means that the court will ensure that the non-member spouse will still receive an equitable amount, and their proper share of the retirement pay as ordered in the final judgment, even if it means having to divide the VA disability pay.