Social security wages cannot be garnished. However, if one opened a bank account and deposits the SS earnings there, they should notify the FTB. Otherwise the bank account will be used as part of their collections activities. There must be proof that ALL the money in the bank account came from social security alone, and that no other amount has been deposited from other sources. Contact FTB to clarify and prove that your father’s account came from social security income, and consult as soon as possible with a lawyer on how to stop FTB from withdrawing the money from your father’s account.