In an inter-country adoption, the agency fee can range between $7000 and $30,000. Generally this fee will include the cost and expenses for the immigration formalities and the cost costs. In some cases, this cost will include the donation to the agency or orphanage located in the foreign country. The overall cost will depend on the type of the foreign entity involved in the adoption – government agency, orphanage, facilitator, etc.
• In an inter-country adoption, you may have to pay additional fees including:
Foster case (generally for adoptions from Central and Latin America)
• Travel and accommodation costs
• Escort fees for the person accompanying the child to the US
• Cost for medical care and treatment of the child (generally for adoptions from Central and Latin America)
• Foreign lawyer fees
• Foreign agency fees
• Translation fees
• Passport fees
• Cost and fees for processing visa
In some cases, a court in the US must finalize the inter-country adoption. Sometimes the court in the child’s country will finalize the adoption. In such cases, a US court need not finalize the adoption but it is always preferable to have the adoption finalized by a US courts for added protection of the child’s legal status. Court processes are not free. Depending on the nature of the adoption, the costs for documentation alone can vary between$500 and $2000. The attorney costs can range between $2500 and $5000. Some states allow the finalization without attorney representation.