Same sex couples wanting to adopt a child often face many legal obstacles. There is no uniformity in the law across different states. The supporters of same sex adoption argue that adoption is meant to provide a home for thousands of children who do not have parents and helps couples fulfil the desire to have children and complete the family unit. Opponents however claim that a family consists of a man, a woman and children. This section provides information on same sex adoption including the legal issues faced by same sex couples wanting to adopt a child. Please click on the links to know more:
- Adoption and Same-Sex Couples: Basics : General overview of the various challenges, difficulties, and changes in the law with respect to adoption by gay and lesbian couples, including a brief history of same-sex parenting.
- Adoption and Same-Sex Couples: Types of Adoption : Basics of disclosure rules for same-sex couples, regarding sexual orientation, with respect to the various different types of adoption.
- Gay and Lesbian Adoptive Parents: Issues and Concerns : Answers to frequently asked questions about gay and lesbian adoptive parents, such whether the children of same-sex parents are more likely to be teased by peers and other concerns.
- Gay and Lesbian Adoptive Parents: Life After Adoption : Overview of some common challenges faced by same-sex couples raising adoptive children, such as finding support from the community and explaining sexual orientation to children.
- Legal Issues for Gay and Lesbian Adoption : Basic information about the various legal rights and responsibilities pertaining to adoption by gay and lesbian couples, including the status of same-sex co-parents following a break up.
- Questionnaire: Am I Eligible to Adopt? : While same-sex couples have their own special challenges when seeking to adopt, this checklist of general eligibility criteria is applicable to anyone considering parenthood through adoption.