If you are looking to adopt a child, there are different types of adoption options available to you. This section provides information on the different types of adoption as well as a comparison between the different types. Please click on the links to know more:
- Agency Adoptions : Overview of the various costs and procedures prospective parents will likely encounter when choosing an agency adoption; the difference between private and public adoption agencies; and more.
- Independent Adoptions : Information about independent adoption, which is the main alternative to adopting through an agency, including the advantages/disadvantages of independent adoption and a list of states prohibiting its practice.
- Open vs. Closed Adoption : A comparison of open adoption, in which the adoptive parents meet and sometimes keep in touch with the biological mother, to closed adoption, in which there is no such contact.
- Stepparent Adoption FAQs : Answers to frequently asked questions about adopting a child as a stepparent, including the rules for obtaining consent from the birth parents, the need for legal representation, and more.
- International Adoptions : Collection of articles and resources pertaining to international adoption; including articles on inter-country adoption costs, adopting a child from a different race or culture, and related matters.
- Same-Sex Adoption : Various articles and resources specifically for gay and lesbian couples who would like to become parents through adoption, including different types of adoption and legal issues for same-sex couples.