Child Custody and Taxes

How can I claim my son as a dependant if I share physical custody with my ex-wife? Both of us claim him for 6 months of the year?

Both of you cannot claim your son as a dependent on your tax returns. Generally, when there is joint physical custody, the parent who provides more than 50% of the child’s support can claim exemption for the child provided the other requirements for claiming exemptions are met. When the child stays with one parent but the other parent provides more than 50% of the child’s support, the latter can claim an exemption subject to the other requirements being met.

The custodial parent must provide the noncustodial parent with a completed Form 8332 which is the release of claim to exemption or a statement that is substantially similar. The noncustodial parent must submit it along with his or her tax returns. The custodial parent cannot claim child tax credit of he or she releases the exception.

Can a court decide which parent is entitled to the deduction? Will the court order override the IRS requirements?

Who can claim exemption is determined by federal law. For more information please read Publication 504.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


Contact Us RECEPTION (209) 492-9335

Our receptionist will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Tom Hogan will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.