Settlement Agreements and Court Approval

Most divorce cases are often settled before the trial state. Settlement is reached either through informal negotiations or through the use of alternative dispute resolution process such as collaborative law or mediation. This Section contains information about settlement agreements.

Settlement Agreement

If the spouses are able to negotiate and sort out all issues of the divorce either formally or by using any alternative dispute resolution process such as collaborative law or mediation, the terms of the settlement are converted into a written agreement. This agreement is known as the settlement agreement. The parties must file this agreement in the court where the divorce petition is filed. Generally the judge will hold an informal hearing and ask certain questions to the spouses to ensure that the spouses have voluntarily signed the agreement and understand the terms of the agreement. Once the judge is convinced that the agreement is fair to both spouses, the judge will approve the agreement.

Court Approval and Divorce Decree

Once the agreement is approved by the judge, the judge will sign the divorce decree thereby finalizing the divorce. The decree will specify how the issues have been resolved. The decree will list out the rights and obligations of the parties post divorce including:

Children – custody, visitation and living arrangements
Property – division of marital property, assets and debts
Support – who pays support (alimony and child support) and how much

If the judge feels that one or more terms of the agreement is not fair or requires further negotiations, the spouses can continue to negotiate on those terms. If the spouses fail to reach a settlement on those issues, the case must go to trial.

Partial Settlement

Often the spouses may resolve most issues but some issues may remain unresolved. In such cases, the spouses can reach a partial settlement and the court will decide on the unresolved issues. For example if the spouses have reached a settlement on the issues of child custody & support and alimony but cannot decide on property division, then the court can approve the settlement on child custody & support and alimony and order that the issue of property division be decided through trial.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


Contact Us RECEPTION (209) 492-9335

Click Here to Request a Consultation Via Chat

Our receptionist will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Tom Hogan will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.