Civil Unions

Same sex couples may apply for a civil union license from a town clerk, following similar procedures for obtaining a marriage license. The certificate of civil union will then entitle these couples to all of the benefits of legal marriage. Dissolution of such civil union would be handled by the family court system. Even heterosexual couples can apply for a civil union license. This section provides information on civil unions, difference between civil union, domestic partnership and marriage, rights of civil union partners and much more. Please click on the following link to know more:

  • Civil Unions in Vermont : Learn about how civil unions work, the rights of same-sex couples, and the benefits provided couples under Vermont law.
  • What Is a Domestic Partnership? : Learn about the benefits of a domestic partnership, how to register as domestic partners, example of state domestic partnership laws, and more.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


Contact Us RECEPTION (209) 492-9335

Click Here to Request a Consultation Via Chat

Our receptionist will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Tom Hogan will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.