Abortion is a highly volatile issue in the United States. The US Supreme Court through its decision Roe v. Wade (1973) upheld a woman’s right to choose an abortion. In many states, the state law places many restrictions on abortion mainly due to pressure from pro and anti abortion groups. This section provides information on the state laws, the ruling of the Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade, parental consent and much more. Please click on the links to know more:
- Background : Learn the definition of abortion, and the how current abortion law developed from the common law of England to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Roe v. Wade.
- Abortion Laws : This article explains the definitions and legal requirements for each one, as well as a few abortion related medical terms.
- Abortion Rights FAQ : Find answers to frequently asked questions about abortion, including what to do when parents disagree about an abortion, the legal rights of fetuses, and whether and when abortions are legal.
- Roe v. Wade : Read all about the most important case in abortion law – who the parties were, why they went to court, and what the outcome meant for generations of women.
- After Roe v. Wade : Find out how abortion law continues to evolve in this article.
- Birth Control and the Law Basics : Read about its history and the state of birth control rights today.