Contact the Thomas Hogan Law Office if you are considering filing for divorce in Elk Grove, CA. Divorce law is complex. Attempting to navigate the complex maze of divorce laws can prove costly. With 25 years of experience, our Elk Grove family and divorce lawyers can assist you file for divorce. Similarly, if your spouse has filed for divorce, our attorneys can assist you fight the divorce lawsuit.

Want to get out of your marriage? Let the divorce experts from the Thomas Hogan Law Office assist you. Call our Elk Grove location at (916) 382-7625 and avail of a FREE 15-minute consultation.

California Residency Requirements

Before filing a divorce petition, our Elk Grove family/divorce lawyers will review your circumstances to determine if you meet the residency requirements. You must meet the residency requirements to file a divorce petition in Elk Grove. If you or your spouse is in the military, it can affect the location of filing of your divorce petition. Contact the Thomas Hogan Law Office for advice on the right place of filing of your divorce petition.

Serving Your Spouse

Your spouse must be served according to the procedure listed in the California Code of Civil Procedure. Unless you show the court that you have served your spouse as required by the Code, the court will not exercise jurisdiction over your spouse. Under California law, the person serving the divorce papers cannot be associated with the case in any way. So you cannot be the person serving the papers to your spouse. Instead, you must get another person who is over 18 years of age to serve your spouse. Our Elk Grove family/divorce lawyers can assist you serve your divorce petition on your spouse.

Filing of the Petition

Your Elk Grove divorce petition must be filed on Form FL 100. Although this form can is easily available online, never attempt to file a divorce petition without the assistance of an experienced family/divorce lawyer. You may save on the lawyer’s fee but in the long run it may prove costly.  You may also have to file other forms depending on your circumstances. Once you have filed your divorce petition, it must be served on your spouse.

Default Divorce

You can apply for a default divorce if your spouse has not responded to your divorce petition within 30 days from the date on which he or she was served. If the court passes an order for default divorce, you must wait for six months to get your divorce decree. The State of California has a six month waiting period for divorces. To know if you can apply for a default divorce, contact our Elk Grove family/divorce lawyers.

Filing for Divorce or legal separation? Are you going to file for child custody and support? Check out the forms you need:

California Family Law Forms

Call us for a free consultation

You can avail a free fifteen-minute consultation with our Elk Grove, California  Divorce Attorneys. Give us a call at (916) 382-7625 and we will schedule a consultation at your  convenient time.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


Contact Us RECEPTION (209) 492-9335

Click Here to Request a Consultation Via Chat

Our receptionist will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Tom Hogan will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.



We care about our clients and are dedicated to addressing their legal issues to the best of our ability.Tom Hogan Founder