Probate is a court-supervised process concerning the administration and management of an individual’s final affairs. Generally a will describes how the assets of the deceased will be distributed. However, when a person passes away without a will, the court will often distribute the person’s remaining estate.
This section includes resources and information on the basics of probate, as well as an overview of the probate process, how to understand probate fees, and contacting a probate attorney.
Learn About Probate Basics
- The Basics of Probate :This article provides an introduction to probate administration, the steps of the probate process, and why it’s preferable to have a will.
- Probate Overview : Learn about how the probate process works, the different types of probate, and why you may want to avoid probate.
- Avoiding the Probate Process : This article explains the benefits of avoiding probate as well as a number of tips to help you pass on property outside of the probate process.
- Probate Courts & Laws : Find your state’s laws to learn about the applicable requirements, procedures, filing fees, courts, and more.
- Intake Questionnaire: Initial Meeting with a Probate Lawyer :This questionnaire will help you organize your information before meeting with a probate attorney.
- How to Avoid Probate : Learn about different methods that can help you avoid probate, including jointly owning property, using revocable living trusts, and taking advantage of payable on death accounts.