Keep Your Income Tax Return Documents for Filing

Keep a file of your income tax return for at least three years after filing

It will take about 3 years for the IRS to complete an audit of your income tax thus it is important to keep all the paper works with you should you need to be questioned for verification. These documents include the W-2 forms, 1099 forms, receipts, cancelled checks of at least three years after filing. For instance, if you have filed in 2007 for the tax year of 2006, then you ought to keep a record of your documents until 2010.

To be safe, you may also want to keep your records for up to six years. The IRS audit is possible within a six year time frame and it is important that you have the necessary papers that will back you up as an honest tax payer.

Moreover, you also need to keep any record of your purchases for items that can be used in capital gains like bonds, stocks and real estate properties. Once you are audited, make sure that you cab show your taxable gain or loss and if you have rolled-over gains, then you should also keep a record of the sale that has been made on your property.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


Contact Us RECEPTION (209) 492-9335

Our receptionist will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Tom Hogan will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.